Fat…it’s like a bad english word for most people. Quick to avoid fats, many people do not realize the benefits that healthy fats can give to our bodies; including energy metabolism and vitamin absorption. Plant based fats are a great option for getting your necessary daily dose. Avocados in particular are an example of food that is packed with healthy fats, alongside many dense vitamins, minerals and fibres including, vitamin K, B vitamins, vitamin C, and vitamin E.
In celebration of this special fruit, I wanted to share a yummy recipe that I have made time and time again. Packed with avocado, garlic, lemon and basil…this recipe is truly delightful!! SO enjoy your plant-based fats, embrace their density and rich textures and enjoy their distinct flavours!!
(WARNING: Like everything, be sure to consume in moderation)
- 1 medium-sized ripe Avocado, pitted
- 1/2 lemon, juiced + lemon zest to garnish
- 1-3 garlic cloves, to taste
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- ~1/4 cup Fresh Basil
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 servings/6 oz of brown rice or quinoa (gluten-free pasta)
- Add any vegetables of your choice (zucchini, peppers, mushrooms)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Bring several cups of water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Add in your pasta, reduce heat to medium, and cook until Al Dante, about 8-10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing the garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil into a food processor. Process until smooth. Now add in the pitted avocado, basil, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.
3. Steam vegetables in a pan.
4. When pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse in a strainer and place pasta into a large bowl. Toss in steamed veggies and pour on sauce and toss until fully combined. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper. Serve immediately
Please note: This dish does not reheat well due to the avocado in the sauce. Please serve immediately.