So I am going to start off today’s post, with a little about the daily adventures in my life. The other day while antique furniture shopping with my friend Tiff… I foolishly slammed my finger in her car door. It was stuck to the point that I couldn’t get out without physically using my other hand to pry the door open! Feeling lightheaded, I controlled the bleeding of my throbbing finger, then wrapping up what felt like a crushed finger tip. This all happening right after finding a perfect piece for our refinishing project!! I wasn’t going to let my finger get in the way of our incredible find … so I sucked it up and we completed our hunt.
After arriving home from my very “eventful” day…I was craving some healthy comfort food. I wanted something full of vegetables..but a salad alone just didn’t sound satisfying. With that in mind, I discovered what felt like the perfect fit for all my desires! So simple, even a broken finger could handle it!! I have been anxiously waiting to share this with you and hope you enjoy the blend of flavors and health benefits as much as I did!!
Warm Sweet Potato, Kale Salad with Roasted Garlic and Dijon Vinaigrette
- 1 cup uncooked brown basmati rice
- 3/4 pound sweet potato, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks (about 2 1/2 cups)
- Red cabbage,, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 patty pan squash, diced
- 1/2 cup of cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (diced in half)
- 2 extra-large or 3 large garlic cloves (peel left on)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup stemmed and finely chopped kale
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons hemp hearts
- parsley for garnish (optional)
- Avocado for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt or fine grain sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400 C. While your waiting take your basmati rice and cook with 1 cup rice : 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 30 min. Cut up your potatoes & squash and spread on a cookie sheet with coconut oil. Take your cloves of garlic and add them (skin on) to the pan. Sprinkle Himalayan or sea salt and pepper and let bake for 30-45 min, checking periodically and flipping half way through. until potato is soft.
While your waiting for rice, potatoes and squash, wash and chop up remaining vegetables for the salad and put into a mixing bowel. Prepare your dressing in a separate small bowl. When everything is ready take your sweet potato and squash and add it to the salad. Then take your roasted garlic, peel and chop it up and add to the mixture. Pour your dressing and toss well..making sure to coat your salad well.
Start to layer a serving bowl, starting with some rice, then add a generous portion of your kale, sweet potato salad on top. Garnish with fresh parsley (I took mind from my herb planter) and avocado and voila…healthy comfort food in 45 min:)