As spring is upon us, it is a time for renewal…a time to nourish our bodies as we come alive from hibernation. Like all things in nature, we transform during this season and what better way to help you through this transition then incorporating foods nature provides us into healthful and tasty dishes !!
When I create a meal I always ask myself a couple questions: What nutrients will this food food provide my body and how will it make me feel ? I do this in the morning when I make my smoothies and in the evening when I prepare my dinner. It helps me to become more mindful about the foods I am taking in to nourish my body and to become more grateful for having the opportunity to create what ever my heart desires on my plate. Last night I wanted to give my body the healing properties of cauliflower; rich in vitamin C, K and folate as well as Cancer fighting properties through it’s detoxification, antioxidant anti-inflammatory properties. As part of a group of very important vegetables classified as cruciferous..cauliflower is one of the healthiest and most important foods the earth provides us and I was lucky enough to enjoy it in a beautiful way!
Let me share in todays blog the “Cauliflower Chicken Wing”…one of my most recent discoveries and so yummy!! I served this meal on a bed of wild rice and raw spinach and it was delightful!!
The best part of all…is it took me only 40 minutes to make!!
Balsamic Glazed Cauliflower Wings
1 Head Cauliflower
1/2 Cup Whole Grain Flour
1/2 Cup Almond Milk
1 Tsp Organic Coconut Oil
1/4 Cup Vineger
1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
1 Garlic Clove, crushed and chopped
2 Tbs Soy Sauce
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 450°F, spread coconut oil around a baking sheet
- Cut the cauliflower into florets. The smaller they are, the faster they will cook and softer they will get.
- Whisk together the flour and milk in a bowl.
- Toss the cauliflower in the batter until thoroughly coated.
- Arrange the cauliflower on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until slightly less done than you want them.
- Remove from the oven and pour the sauce over the cauliflower.
- Return to oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and gently flip and toss the cauliflower in the sauce on the sheet to coat.
- Return to the oven for another 5 minutes.