Over the last week I have learned a lot about the diet of a vegan. Although this may seen to many as very extreme, it is actually a lot easier then I originally thought. What I am learning is that for everything dairy, there are alternatives; you need a binder when baking (eggs), chia or flax seeds work well when mixed with water. You can whip avocado and cocoa together with some agave nectar and coconut milk and get the consistency of a chocolate mousse, the list is endless and with a little creativity and some research you learn about taking on a plant only based diet very easily. With that said today I am inspired to post a vegan recipe, again from the wonderful website “as she glows”. ENJOY!!
Green Powerhouse Pesto Plate
- 1 cup uncooked millet
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced (or vegetable of choice)
- 3 handfuls spinach
For the pesto:
- 1/2 large avocado (about 1/3-1/2 cup flesh)
- 2 small or 1 large garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- fine grain sea salt, to taste (I used just over 1/4 tsp)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup lightly packed basil leaves (one entire 40-gram package)
1. Rinse and drain lentils in a fine mesh sieve. Add to a medium pot along with 3 cups of water. Bring to a low boil and then reduce heat to low-medium and simmer uncovered for 25-40 minutes. When lentils are tender, remove from heat and drain water if necessary.
2. At the same time, cook the millet. Rinse and drain in a fine mesh sieve and add to a medium pot. Add 2 cups of water or vegetable broth, bring to a low boil, and reduce heat to low-medium. Cover with tight fitting lid and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and leave lid on to steam for another 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
3. Meanwhile, sauté the zucchini in a skillet with a bit of oil, salt, and pepper for about 5-10 minutes, or until much of the water has cooked off. Add a few handfuls of spinach into the skillet and cook until wilted.
4. To prepare the dressing: Add all dressing ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as necessary. Adjust salt to taste.
5. To assemble: Toss the millet and lentils together in one pot and season with Herbamare and pepper. Portion onto plates followed by the zucchini and spinach mixture. Now spoon on a generous amount of dressing and serve!