I absolutely love everything about fall…the colours, the smells, the food..it’s a season that passes in a blink of an eye. I try to spend each weekend embracing some aspect of these amazing months. Last night I decided to do a little experiment making gluten-free pumpkin spice muffins and for my first attempt they turned out great!! To enjoy these yummy treats, you have to enjoy pumpkin…as I do. I thought they needed a little more sweet, so I went on to find a vegan – cream cheese icing recipe and thought the two together would be delightful!!
Keep in mind the muffin itself contains eggs, so these are not true vegan…but the eggs are free-range organic, so ethical and delicious!! Let me know what you think!!
Makes 1 dozen muffins
1 cup Almond flour
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp cloves, 1 tsp allspice, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 1/4 tsp nutmeg)
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (I use earth balance vegan spread, as a healthier option)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 free range, organic eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons walnuts, coarsely ground
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350F, and line a muffin tin with paper muffin liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, turmeric, salt, and baking powder, and set aside.
3. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the pumpkin puree, eggs, and vanilla, and mix to incorporate. Add the flour mixture in two batches, and mix just until it’s no longer visible. Fold in 1/2 cup of the walnuts.
4. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins. Mix together the remaining 3 tablespoons of walnuts, the two tablespoons of brown sugar, and the teaspoon of cinnamon, and sprinkle the mixture on top of the muffins.
5. Bake the muffins for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Vegan Cream Cheese Icing
1.5 cups cashews (soak for min 2 hours)
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
Blend in a blender until creamy, refrigerate for 1 hour, dress and serve your muffins!!